Monday, November 14, 2011

Budget Reflection

Analyzing the budget at our school site was a very interesting process.  To be honest, I was quite surprised to see where some of the money that our site has comes from and how it is used.  I was shocked to see the amounts of money we put towards certain content areas, activities, and incentives.  I really wanted to know who decided how the allocations would be divided between the different areas and how they were divided.

It was also interesting to see what areas of the budget have not been touched yet this year and which ones are already depleted.

I really wish we had been able to look at this a little more in-depth as I felt that this was a only a little 'peek' into the entire budget.

4 comments:

  1. It did feel like a peek into the finance side of administration. I think it would be great to be able to sit down with the administrative team when they start making suggestions as to where to allocate money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that a longer look into the budget would have been a great experience. I was surprised on how much less we received this year and fortunately we had a large carry over to support that loss. With your school being so much larger than the elementary schools it would be interesting on how they work together to determine the allocation of the monies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. This is something that I don't spend a lot of time with. I order materials and equipment and it gets approved but all of the major decisions regarding the budget are handled by the Principal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right. The school site budget doesn't get into teacher and administrator salaries and benefits, which can be up to 90% of a district's overall budget.

    ReplyDelete